Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Had to Start Back Sometime

Okay, I started out so good training for my marathon. Then it all fell apart. Missing just one day seems to kill all motivation for the following days. I have tons of excuses to go along with my last post on February 12. The excuse for missing 9 days before that run was "snow". The reasons for not running from then until today include thunderstorms, tornado watches, just plain rain, cool temperatures (once I got a taste of the 60's, I didn't want to run when it was below 50), other stuff to do, and just laziness. Also, once I knew I was to miss the Oxford Run for Hope Half Marathon on February 26, I lost some steam. I was on schedule for it, which put me a little ahead of the Music City Full Marathon at the end of April, so I had a little time to take a break. However, the break was TOO long. Now that that is out of the way, let's get to today's run.

This was my first run in 25 days, and only the second in 34 days. Needless to say, I'm way behind schedule. I planned on starting Monday (as I've been telling myself every week for the last month or so), but it was pouring down rain when I got home. Tuesday is a rest day - haha, so I finally got out the door today. I hadn't checked my training schedule in awhile, so I wasn't sure what mileage Monday called for. I did remember that today was 7 miles. I knew I couldn't do that due to my lack of running and a little illness coming on. Monday, I had a throbbing headache when I got home from work; the same Tuesday along with a tingle in my throat and a little ache all over my body. I was thinking Monday was 5, so that's what I would do today even if I had to walk some. I would try 7 tomorrow. Tuesday, all I had was a peanut butter sandwich for lunch and 2 bowls of cereal and some Goldfish for supper. Wednesday, before the run, all I had was some dry cereal at lunch. I had in my mind that the lack of running, lack of fuel, and the possibility of an oncoming illness would really affect this run. But this run turned out to feel really good! I was quite surprised... and happy. I hadn't lost everything. However, there was a time after just hitting Mile 4 that I think I would have thrown up if I had eaten anymore the last couple of days. I very seldom get the "throw-up feeling" while running, but it was right at the back of my mouth. (I actually cannot recall ever throwing up due to running). Other than the usual pains and wear of running, I felt good.

I even thought my times were decent - 9:17, 10:14, 10:28, 10:21, 9:54. Mile 3 still my slow mile. Total time 50:14. Pace 10:03. I like to think that I could have cut those 14 seconds off if I wasn't running head on into a very strong wind on the way back. My heart rates: Avg 175, Max 194, Rest 66. Recovery from 187 to 139. The 175 average HR is my second highest, which I've done 5 times (high is 178). The max HR of 194 is my second highest (198 is highest). The layoff cost my heart fitness level some beats.

By the way, Monday was to be a 4 miler.

No comments:

Post a Comment