Saturday, February 12, 2011

Blame the Pain on Shane (and the Weather)

I did not run on Monday, February 7. We had to leave work early to try to get home before the roads were covered with snow. When we left work, it was sunny and not a flake was falling. It seemed kind of stupid to be leaving, but we knew some schools toward the west were closing. We were about halfway home (30 miles to go) when the snow began pouring down. The flakes were snow big that it looked like somebody was throwing snowballs at the windshield. The snow was literally building up on the interstate as we traveled. The roads were white for the last 10 miles, but we didn't have any problems. Well, my problem was that I didn't get my 4 mile run in.

We didn't go to work on Tuesday, but I didn't too much about making up Monday's run. Besides, our road was still white and somewhat icy.

I went to work Wednesday and left later than I actually planned, because I knew snow was coming again. I had taken the Xterra to get new tires, an oil change, a new battery, and the heater fixed. It was around 2:00 before they had finished and I could get somebody to drop me off at the mechanics. By the time I reached Briley Parkway, it was already snowing. It wasn't a fun drive home. One vehicle was in the left lane on the interstate driving 30 miles an hour and would not get over. The cars in the right lane were about the same speed. Finally, after I don't know how many miles, I was able to switch to the right lane, get ahead of the car that was going to cause problems for everybody behind us, and zip back over to the left land in front of it. I drove 60 mph. Safe, but not too safe. The interstate was white and the snow was beginning to build up. I made it home without any incident, except for the car that would not go fast enough to avoid other cars lining up behind it while the snow built up making the conditions worst. If I had to drive 30 mph all the way to the exit, the roads closer to my house would have been much worse than they were. The snow kept me from running once again.

On Thursday, we once again did not go to work. I once again did not run.

I did go to work on Friday, but did not run since I was planning a long run on Saturday.

Saturday. I had to run. I finally got myself on the road about 11:30. I ran 12 miles last Saturday, and this Saturday called for 14 miles. However, since I had not ran all week, I decided that I would fall back to 10 miles. While I was running, I got to thinking that Shane did 12 miles last Saturday, too. I had completed every scheduled run for 5 straight weeks; he had not, but still did 12 miles. I must run 12 miles today! I kept thinking about it. "What if he does 14 miles today? I will be behind." I MUST do 14 miles! Well, I was barely moving and hurt from the hips down, but I shuffled my feet for 14 miles. My time was horrific. It took me 2:37:26 (a 11:15 pace), 30 more minutes than it should have. My fastest miles was Mile 1 at 9:00; my slowest mile was Mile 13 at 14:45. I believe I could walk a mile faster than that. Heart rates: 165 avg, 183 max, 58 rest. Recovery was from 173 to 130.

It was because of Shane that I pushed and suffered pain. I have to thank Shane for the pain. No pain. No gain. No fame.

1 comment:

  1. after mile 12 my paces always drop. i am on a little different schedule now, that i think is better if you can start with a little more mileage on the weekends in the beginning or just work up to it. i plan on running 12 miles twice, adding more mileage during the week instead of adding mileage to the long run each week. i also plan 14 miles twice, 16 miles twice, 18 miles 2-3 times, 20 miles 2-3 times, and so on. i think this will prepare you better than increasing each weekend, because each weekend i was worn out when i added miles but when i repeated mileage i did much better. a little hard to explain here but i think you get the point, i think my way, the other ways help you finish a marathon, my way will help you run a marathon :).

    ReplyDelete