Monday, March 18, 2013

March 16, 2013 - Clarksville 5th Annual Half Marathon

I am unofficially trying to obtain the title of "Weekend Warrior".  During the last 4 weeks, I have ran 3 races on Saturdays - a 5k and two half marathons.  No other running. In fact, those are my only runs in the last 31 days.

Well, this half marathon has gone down a lot.  This year had 105 finishers.  A long way from the 884 in 2009.  I bet it loses its USRA Half Marathon Series status before long.  It dropped to 493 in 2010. I think to 183 in 2011.  Then they moved it from October to March.  Etc.

This was my 10th half marathon.  I was well rested for it :)  But not well trained for it :( 

It started off okay.  Two weeks ago I ran a 5k with the temperature around freezing and some snow flurries.  Today, the temperature was around a great 65 degrees.  However, there was some of that dreaded WIND!  And I mean WIND!  At one point we ran directly into the wind for almost two miles.  (I meant to check the wind speeds for the day when I got home, but never did it).  I want to say 100 mph winds, but I guess it was more like 30.  And I don't mean wind gusts.  I mean solid, nonstop wind for 2 miles!  Then there were more "opportunities" to run head-on into the wind!  I was thinking that I would have to label this post with an "Explicit Language" caution, but I have calmed down since the race and refrained from such language.  According to most of the finishing times, it seems the wind affected a lot of the runners. 

The wind most certainly affected me, but lack of training also hurt my time.  Three weeks ago I ran my slowest - 2:04:21 (9:30 pace) - half marathon.  I thought that since this one would be flatter that I would be at about the same time.  I blame the wind on me setting a new personal low at 2:10:15 (9:57 pace).  However, I did receive my highest age group ranking.  I was # 2 of 8 in the 40-44, and 49 of 105 overall.  A 2:10 time finishing #2 is another reason I think the wind affected people.  The winner, however, did run it in 1:23.  There have been quite a few people to run it in under 1:20, though.

Two half marathons this year with each setting a new personal slow.

No comments:

Post a Comment