Tuesday, March 5, 2013

March 2, 2013 - Relove Haiti 5k

Relove Haiti 5k.  This year it was at Rossview High School instead of Beechaven.  It was cold.  The temperature stayed at about 32 degrees all day!  There was snow, but it did not stick. It had snowed some the day before (with less than a dusting even though it snowed quite awhile) and was possibly snowing through the night, so the race director was to make a decision at 6:00 am.  (Thank goodness this was a 9:00 am start race.  I don't know why so many want 7 or 8:00.) 

Received a message that the race was on and no precipitation was expected for the next 3 hours.  I looked out the window - it was snowing then.  By the time I got ready, the hood of my truck was covered.  It flurried mostly after that.  A lot of snow fell from the sky, but quickly disappeared.  Depending on the direction running, it was breezy.

I took the week off after last week's Half Marathon.  It wasn't so much that I needed the week off than I just didn't want to run.  The temperature (and wind) was not where I wanted them to be.  This was also only the second run in 17 days.  I should have ran a 14 miler today in preparation for the Country Music Marathon.  Man, is that going to be a disaster. 

Anyway, I was 4 of 12 males in the 36-45 age group and 35 of 147 overall.  My time was 24:30, a 7:54 pace.  It hurt to breathe during and for awhile afterwards, because my lungs were frozen.

Last year, the Relove Haiti became my second fastest 5k at 23:14 (7:30 pace).

No comments:

Post a Comment