Saturday, April 16, 2011

(Sarcastic Tone) Thanks A Lot, Todd

Today was a day that I would have skipped running. Even though I have ran when it was 16 degrees, every since I had a beautiful day to run in February, I have been refusing to run when the temperature has been below 50. It was 49 degrees. Another reason I would not have run on a day like this is the wind. I hate the wind! (See some previous posts). The wind gusts were so extreme at times I was lucky to keep my balance. I also don't know how I can turn 180 degrees and still be heading directly into the wind. The third reason I would have avoided this run was the threat of rain. Luckily, the rain never came.

My cousin, Todd Seay, had called me and urged me to run 14 miles. I have ran a few 10 milers and ran/walked a 12-miler about two months ago. Mostly, I have avoided running due to weather, other obligations, and laziness. I was weary of adding 4 miles at once. I followed his advice of walking some at every mile. Something my brother, Shane Sykes, told me he read about doing. I usually don't drink anything during training runs, but I do drink during races. I try to drink on the run through the water stations. Once I begin walking, I just want to walk. I didn't start the waking until Mile 5. Then it was more like 20 to 30 seconds rather than 10. Considering I was mad at the weather and trying to stretch to 14 miles, I actually felt pretty good during the run. Don't get me wrong, I was tired and hurting. It just wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Total time: 2:32:12. Pace: 10:52.
Heart rate: 162 average 180 max 62 resting
Recovery 175 to 143.

No comments:

Post a Comment