Monday, October 24, 2011

Long Winded About My Long Run

I had planned on running my long run (15 miles) Saturday while we were in Mississippi. I carried everything I thought I needed, but I didn't run. I just ate - at McDonald's on the way and on the way back, Pizza Hut pizza Saturday night and Sunday morning for breakfast, candy, birthday cake and ice cream, more candy, and other stuff. I wasn't really happy with myself for eating SO much and not running at all, but I had a good time. I thought maybe I would run Sunday when we got back to Clarksville. Who was I kidding? After a weekend of food and the drive back, I wasn't about to run.

I wanted to make up the 15 miles - at least some of it - during this week, but without wearing myself out for the Austin Peay 5k on Saturday. My schedule for the St. Jude Marathon calls for 5, 8, 5, and 17 this week. Because of the Austin Peay race, I had planned 5, 8, 5, and 3.1, and maybe a few miles to make up for the missed 17 miler on Sunday, but seriously doubted that would happen.

Even though I got a late start (6:00 pm) and would be running in the dark, I decided I would run 10 miles instead of 5. My lower legs hurt a little for the first couple of miles, which made me worry about finishing 10 miles. They loosened up, and I began to feel pretty good. It was a pleasant 66 degrees when I headed out. Earlier in the day, it had reached 82 degrees and was sunny. Now, it was sundown and the temp would be falling. (It had dropped to 54 by the time I finished). The weather seemed just right to run - just wish I had some sunlight. I believe the weather and the few days off from running (hadn't ran since Thursday's 5 miler) contributed to my good feeling. The feeling that I could run 15 miles!

That feeling came somewhere between Miles 3 and 4. I still had a long way to go, and, as the past 2 weekends of running half marathons have proved, I tend to lose it all before Mile 10. I told myself that I would be flexible as to the number of miles I would run. When I reached Mile 5, I was turning around anyway. About Mile 5.5, I could turn to run past Salem United Methodist Church and down Salem Ridge Road until I reached 7.5 miles or I could just run toward home. I was really conflicted as I approached Mile 5.5. Would I have enough energy to get back home? It was already past dark and getting cooler. I didn't want to be walking "miles" in a cold sweat. I made the turn! I headed down Salem Ridge Road. If I had to, I could miserably walk the remaining miles when me legs said to stop.

I never would have thought that road would have been so dark. I turned around when the watch beeped Mile 7 - half-mile short, which would be a total of 1 mile for the run since there was no return trip. So, I planned on running past my house for another half-mile, then turning around to make it up. The problem was "would I have enough discipline to keep going once I reached my driveway". I did. I was ready for the run to be over with, but I was still feeling pretty good. I never had to walk either! Just blows my mind. I didn't eat or drink anything during the run. I think all I had to eat all day before the run was some cereal, chips, cookies, and peanuts. I had a glass of orange juice, 3 cups of coffee, and 2 bottles of dreaded water to drink that morning. I had a diet Dr. Pepper from lunch on. I also drank about 16 oz of PowerAde not long before heading out to run. I guess I had stored up enough from all the "junk" this weekend.

I'm so excited about my per mile times I'm listing all 15 - 1. 8:56, 2. 9:08, 3. 9:35, 4. 9:17, 5. 9:10, 6. 9:17, 7. 9:05, 8. 8:57, 9. 9:13, 10. 8:30, 11. 9:12, 12. 9:04, 13. 9:30, 14. 8:33, and 15. 8:42. I'm dumbfounded that my usually slow Mile 3 was the slowest out of 15. I would have bet money that after 10 miles I would have been over a 10 minute pace, maybe even over 11 or 12. I guess the excitement of hitting double digits got Mile 10 down to 8:30. Mile 14 was 8:33, because I was trying to get off Salem Road as fast as I could, so I wouldn't get ran over. It wasn't easy - I was worn out and part of it was uphill. Mile 15 was a little under 9:00, because I was proud of myself for running 15 miles and wanted to finish strong.

My total time was 2:16:08. My pace was 9:05. 9:05 boggles my mind.

This 15 miler was the 5th most miles I've ever ran at one time. The last time I ran more than 13.1 was also the most miles I've ever covered at once. It was in the Country Music Marathon about 6 months ago on April 30. I ran the first 14 or so miles before walking most of the last 12. The next 3 of the top 5 are all in March 2010. On March 6 and 13, I ran 16 milers. The next weekend I ran a 17 miler. It really took a toil on me. I had chills that night and couldn't eat. I did not run for 10 days, and that was just a 3 miler. It was another 2 weeks before I ran another 3 miler. Finally, a month after the 17 miler, I began running again. It was almost like starting over.

No comments:

Post a Comment