Saturday, March 24, 2012

I'm the Man

No, I'm no where near being the man, but I feel pretty good about myself.

I didn't really have time to think about running. I went to the dump and was at Lowe's by 8:00 am to get a few things. When I got back home, Sherri asked me when I was going to run. She said for me to right then, because storms were possible and could contain some hail. (Lainey was coming, too). I was thinking later in the day or maybe even on Sunday, but, after downing 1.75 pop tarts and about 1/2 of a PowerAde, I was out the door by 10:00.

It was about 60 degrees and cloudy when I started the run. The wind picked up trying to blow in the storm. It was just strong enough to get on my nerves from time to time. I was cruising at a pretty good pace for me. Then about mile 9.75 it began to sprinkle. About mile 10.25, it began to rain. I could have turned around, for I was just a quarter-a-mile away from home, but I kept going. I just finished mile 11 when Sherri drove up. I passed up the ride. Right after she passed me after she had turned around, it seemed to start raining harder every quarter-mile until my turnaround point at mile 12. It slacked backed to a sprinkle. That lasted about half a mile. Then it began raining harder than before. That, too, only lasted about for about a half-mile. Then it was a steady light rain until the finish. The temp had dropped to 54.

For the most part, my pace was pretty consistent. My best pace was mile 1 at 8:52. My slowest mile was mile 4 at 9:29. Can you believe that? With the way running has been going for me, I thought it would be one of the latter miles. One of the miles I had to walk. But I did not have to walk. Maybe I should say "get to walk", since it was raining, and I was doing my best to get home. Mile 12 was my only other mile under 9:00, and it was 8:59. I'm amazed that I not only keep every mile under 10:00, but under 9:30. My total time was 2:09:15, for a 9:14 pace.

No comments:

Post a Comment