Thursday, December 17, 2009

Blog Title is a Little Misleading

Since I turned 40 today, I thought it would be a good day to begin a blog.

I actually started running at 39; my first run was 1 mile on August 10. My cousin, Todd, and brother, Shane, talked me into it. I was really against subjecting myself to such pain. However, I found out that I liked -really liked -running! Hence, the Born2Run@40 title. I wish now that I had started years earlier.

My first run was many years ago in the small town I lived in at the time. (I was 15 or 16 years old). Todd (my age) and some members of his school's track team came to run the 5K race. However, it was Scott (Todd's older brother) that talked me into running it. The only running I had been doing was for basketball and baseball. Basketball had ended a couple of months earlier and baseball was yet to start. However, I beat everyone of the track-teamers, but one, finishing 2nd in my age group! Born to run?

I ran the 5K or 1-mile Fun Run each year until my early 20's, usually placing in my age group in the 5K and finishing in the top 3 in the Fun Run. I never ever trained for them - I just went out and ran. Yes, I was lazy. Looking back, I can only wonder what I could have accomplished if I had worked at it.

So, after almost a 20-year hiatus, I'm running again. I just can't go out run like I did as a teenager, so I started out at one mile in August and ran a Half Marathon in November. I had planned on attempting a Marathon in January, but an injury has ended that quest. I have only ran once in over a month (another reason the title is misleading?). The pain in my knee stopped me once again. I believe (self-diagnosed via internet) that it is Iliotibial Band Syndrome. I hope the time off has helped it heal, because Monday is the day I start training for a Half Marathon at the end of February.

No comments:

Post a Comment