Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Saturday, July 16, 2011 - What a Day

We were going to my mom's for a family reunion. I couldn't decide if I wanted to run before or after the reunion. If I ran before, I would be rushed; if I ran after, it would be hotter, but more than likely, I would be out of the mood and not run at all. So, I hit the road at 8:00 am. It was cloudy with a breeze when I started. Then the sun came out. Then cloudy with a breeze again with about a mile left. The temperature was the same when I started and finished - only 82 degrees, but it seemed warmer.

On a day I needed to finish faster, I finished slower. It took me 1:44:23 (13:03 pace) to run 8 miles. I started off faster than I should have, because I was in a hurry, but that only left me having to walk quite a bit.

When I returned home, Sherri said I needed to hurry and get ready, because I had some stuff to do. I thought load some stuff in the vehicle, etc. for the reunion. I only wish. She then told me that the man (James Potts) that hired me 14 years and 2 days ago, taught me everything I needed to know, and then retired, had passed away in his sleep. He had been battling cancer for several years.

Sherri then gave me a shocker. She said Donna Brown - wife of the person now running Gibbs Brothers Construction, Inc., Kenneth "Elrod" Brown - was killed at a mule pull. I've heard a couple of different stories. She had just finished with her mules and was helping Elrod with his. One of the mules got excited, reared up and came down on her. Another was that one got loose and, as she was trying to hook it back up, she fell/got knocked down and a mule - weighing a ton or more - stepped on her chest. She said she was okay, but she was bleeding internally and later died at the hospital.

No comments:

Post a Comment