Thursday, July 28, 2011

Saturday, July 23, 2011 - Good to Slow

I tried to get out early and beat the heat, which I pretty much did. It was a sunny 78 degrees when I started and 86 by the time I finished about an hour and 45 minutes later.

The first mile was 9:34. I thought, "I can live with that. Maybe that will help me keep the entire run in a pace under 10:00." Well, Mile 2 put an end to that thought, because it was 10:07, and I had 7 more miles to go. I ran 2.5 miles to the end of a road and turned around. The first half of Mile 3 was slower than the second half because I was still running "away" from my truck that was parked at Salem UMC. Once I turned around, I picked up a little speed. My legs were thinking, "We're on the home-stretch now!" My mind was trying to remind them, "We are not stopping when we reach the truck. We will run past it to get in another 4 miles." My legs didn't listen. After completing 5 miles, my pace was 9:41, which was good for the way things have been going. I even ran Mile 4 in 9:10!

Mile 6 is when good when to slow. Mile 6 was 15:28. I did loose about 3 minutes at my truck, trying to towel off a little and gulping too much PowerAde at once. I had to walk - about 20 ounces of PowerAde was now sloshing around in my belly. Toward the end of Mile 6, I tried running some, but that was the beginning of the end. Once I began walking, I didn't want to run anymore. Miles 7 thru 9 were mostly walks with a few little runs mixed in.

My total time was 1:42:41, for a pace of 11:25.

No comments:

Post a Comment