Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Here Today, Gone Tomorrow?

I usually have excuses of why the run went so poorly. Today, I have some reasons of why my run was faster.

Todd called me at work to try to "inspire" my running. He told me to find a race and train for it. I have a 5k and 10k in 10 days and another 10K in 19 days. I'm planning two half marathons in October and a full in December. I have races, just no "umph" to run my short runs faster or finish my long runs. The 74 degree temperature with the threat of a storm also helped me run faster. I left work a litte late due to thunder storms that produced lightening and some just bigger than marble-size hail. It had stopped raining by the time I got home, but looked like it was about to storm again. I almost talked myself out of running, but I hit the door ready to run fast to avoid getting wet. With about half a mile left, the sun came out!

My legs still have not completely recovered, but I ran as hard as I could. As I was linking the GPS to my watch, I noticed the battery was dead on the heart rate monitor. I didn't want to further risk getting caught in the rain by going back into the house and changing batteries, so I ran without it. I really would have liked to have seen the heart rates since I pushed myself for the first time in awhile.

Mile 1 was 8:47, then a 9:13. My usually slow Mile 3 was 9:10, then another 9:13. I pushed Mile 5 as best I could and finished it in 8:16. Total time: 44:40. Pace: 8:55.

Since I was, or I guess I should say my legs were, "here today", they will probably be "gone tomorrow" for my 3 mile run.

No comments:

Post a Comment