Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Saturday, July 24, 2010

I meant to be on the road between 8:00 and 8:30 am, since today was to be a scorcher. Well, I didn't quite make it - it was 9:30 before I hit the pavement and a cool 86 degrees.

Although I knew this 10 miler was going to be difficult, I was excited about running it. I'm not sure why, except that "double digits" makes me feel like I've accomplished something. I did not run a long run last weekend and had not ran since Tuesday, that, plus the heat, was why I knew this was not going to be an easy run. I've also failed at my last few attempts of completing 10 milers without walking.

I started off slowly. Mile 1 was 9:43, Miles 2-4 over 10:00, Mile 5 at 11:01. I ran the first half with a 16.9 oz bottle of PowerAde. I still had half when I returned to my vehicle. About half of the half I used, I just rinsed and spit. At my truck, I changed shirts, toweled off a little, peed, and exchanged my 16.9 oz bottle for a 32 oz bottle. I guess I had to pee, because I tried to hydrate some before I left home. I lost about 2 minutes at the pit stop.

Instead of running the same out and back for the last half, I decided to run in the opposite direction. I was hoping a change of scenery would be more expiring. Other than the pit stop at about 5.1 miles, I kept up a jog through 6 miles. I had to do some walking during the final 4 miles. Miles 7 and 8, not too much with times of 13:20 and 13:30. Miles 9 and 10 were quite different - 17:47 and 18:01. I also drank the whole 32 oz bottle of PowerAde before finishing.

I was disappointed that I wasn't able to keep up the run. Another failed attempt - maybe I'll have better luck next time. My total time was 2:07:33, 12:45 pace. The first time that it has taken me more than 2 hours to complete 10 miles. I'm getting worse!

My heart rates: 161 avg, 190 max, 70 resting. Recovery from 152 to 147 - Wow! A big difference. There wasn't much difference, because I was moving quite slowly during that last mile and I was still huffing and puffing when I stopped.

As I said, it was 86 "cool" degrees when I headed out; the thermometer had 100 when I got back. There was a heat advisory, because the heat index was 109, according to one TV station. Still, after 10 miles in such heat, and although it was about 3 hours after the run before I peed, it was blood free!

No comments:

Post a Comment