Friday, July 2, 2010

Thursday, July 1, 2010

It was a beautiful day - 80 degrees, nice cool breeze. I wanted to repeat yesterday's pace - the comfortable part, not all the pain at the end.

As I headed out, the soreness in my legs increased due to yesterday's run. My sides even felt a little sore - I guess from the "love handles" bouncing around. I prepared myself for a time slower than I was hoping for, but I was trying to run as long as I good at about yesterday's "comfortable" pace. I hit mile 1 at 8:00 flat. Alright, so far so good!

Mile 2 was not so comfortable. My mouth was dry. I can usually finish runs - even long runs - without anything to drink. I had over a mile-and-a-half to go and needed a drink! I was beginning to think that yesterday was going to stop this run short. The soreness in my legs worked out for the most part, but my side began hurting. I think because I was pushing a little now and was gasping for air. I didn't want a let down and was happy to see 8:09 at mile 2.

Mile 3 was "just finish". Occasionally, my pace would fall to one foot barely making it in front of the other. I would force myself to go faster. "Don't ruin this whole run on the last mile!" With a dry mouth, jelly legs, and exhausted body, I kept pushing and finished mile 3 at 8:27.

My total time was 24:37, an 8:12 pace. Dang! Some more pushing maybe I could have gotten under 8:00. My max heart rate was 192 vs. yesterday's 198, so I could have pushed harder. I also my recovery started at 181. Proof that I wasn't giving it my all at the end. I'm very happy with it, but I want more. Running every distance faster each time is beginning to feel drug-like.

Two days of "extreme" running will probably crush my attempt of running 10 miles Saturday. On June 5, I had to walk part of my 10 miler; on June 12, I walked most of my 11 miler. I ran a 10K and 5K for 9.3 miles on June 19, but this was with a break in between. Last Saturday, I did not run at all, so the cards were already stacked against me.

I drank about 12 ounces after my run. After a shower, I got to pee. Blood again. I peed quite a bit considering the lack of liquids throughout the day and the blood content was consistent. It was thicker than the last time, though. After some more PowerAde and Dr. Pepper, I peed again about 3 hours later. Only a little was a dark brown.

HR: 175 avg, 192 max, 70 rest. Recovery 181 to 137.

No comments:

Post a Comment