Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Saturday, May 22, 2010 - Stupid 8-miler

Okay, so I'm stupid. I had pretty much recovered from working until 2:00 am Thursday night, but what I did (or shall I say "didn't do"), leading up to today's 8 mile run was stupid.

Sherri and I headed out to see if we could find some yard sales. She was looking for some things for Max and Lainey - clothes, cheap toys to have at our house. I just like to look. I had made some coffee, put it in a travel mug, and left it sitting on the counter. The trip was pretty much useless, except that we stopped at Foodlion for a few things.

When we returned home about 10:30, I microwaved my coffee and drank it for some caffeine. When I took Morgan out, a neighbor stopped me and talked for about 45 minutes. I finally got back inside, ate some Gummy Life Savers, and drank half of a PowerAde. I took my time changing into my running gear to let the Gummys kind of digest and so the PowerAde wouldn't be sloshing around in my belly.

I drove to Salem UMC to run on Salem Ridge Road, because it is a flatter route. I headed out about 12:30, without any breakfast or lunch, just some candy. It was a very warm 87 degrees, but I kind of liked it. During the first mile, I was wondering if I would be able to do eight miles. Miles 2 and 3 went pretty well. My mind was going back-and-forth on stopping at 5 miles, while I was running mile 4 and coming to the end of mile 5. The route I was running was 2.5 miles out, so I would return with 5 miles completed. I was to then turn around, run 1.5 miles out, and turn back around for an 8 mile run. Even though my truck was in my sight, I forced myself to turn around and keep going. I wanted to stop running (or shuffling my feet) and walk. Even when I only had 1/10th of a mile left, I wanted to walk, but I kept going. And I completed the 8 miles. During the last 3 miles, I felt cold at times.

I finished before 2:00 and finally was able to pee at 6:30. This was after two 64 ounce PowerAdes and some Dr. Pepper. I was totally drained and did not want to move anymore than necessary. I did work up an appetite, though.

Since summer is heating up and my mileage is increasing, I need to do something to have liquids available. I'm not sure if I want to have something on my back or around my waist as an extra hindrance. I hate to spend money on something like that and then not use it, because they are not exactly cheap. I have thought about driving the route and stashing some water bottles, but there are not any real good places to do so. I'm really thinking about a CamelBak.

Here are the less than exciting stats:
8 Miles in 01:21:23 for a 10:10 pace
Heart rate: 175 avg; 188 max; 75 resting.

In my defense, my main goal was to just finish. This also will make it easier for me to run 8 miles faster next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment