Wednesday, September 8, 2010

I Need to Slow Down

I need to slow down. I know I can't expect to go out and set a new personal record every time I run. On Monday, I set a new PR for 4 milers, but before that I set a PR for 6 or more mile runs on an 8-miler on Saturday. That lasted until today when my pace for this 6 mile run was 8:43. This desire to keep besting previous times is really beginning to wear on my legs. My knees were already giving me a little trouble. Now, the other parts of my legs are beginning to feel it. I do hope I have one more PR in me tomorrow, though. I would really like to average 8:00 or less on my 4-miler, since I missed it by an average of 2 seconds. After that... Slow down!

Mile 1 was at 8:45 - not blazing, but ahead of 6+ mile paces. Mile 2 was 9:13. Mile 3 was 9:06. It was after Mile 3 that I decided to go for a 9:00 or lower pace. Mile 4 was 8:20. Mile 5 was 8:41. Then my best time was Mile 6 with 8:13. A total time of 52:18. Heart rates: 165 avg, 187 max, 68 rest. Recovery was 186 to 131.

1 comment:

  1. You should do some reading on training. Most trainers will tell you to run 1 to 2 minutes slower per mile (depending on the distance you are running) than what you would run in a race. You will definitely injure yourself trying to PR every time you run. In a 4 day a week schedule there is usually one long run and one day for speed training. The other two vary with your particular race goal.
    See you in a couple of weeks.

    ReplyDelete