Tuesday, October 26, 2010

10/23/10 - Sango Scamper 10k and 5k

I was not really prepared for these early morning races. Holly, Derek, and Max came in from Mississippi last night. After we ate (I had a whole pizza sub from Paul's, plus some chips and cookies while waiting on Sherri to get home with the subs), Derek and I went to Rural King, Lowe's, and Home Depot. He was looking to buy a generator. Well, long story short, he didn't buy anything, and I didn't get in bed until 11:30. I got up at 5:30 and headed out before 6:30. It was 43 degrees when I left. I drank some coffee and ate a couple of waffles (without syrup) on the way to the Sango United Methodist Church. After getting my race bag, I drank some PowerAde. Ten minutes until start.

The 10k was first. I began kind of in the middle of the pack. Even though I started out a little fast, I slowed down and resisted the urge to weave around people. Finally, everybody thinned out and I found a comfortable - but faster than usual - pace. 7:50, 8:16, 8:09, 8:09, 7:48, 7:48, and 1:40 for last 0.2 miles. Total official time: 49:40. Pace: 8:01. Finished second in my age group (40-44).

Since it was cool and breezy, I sat in my truck between races. For some dumb reason, I did not bring a dry shirt for the second race. I finished off my 32 oz PowerAde and waited until about 8:30 and headed toward the starting line.

I wanted to run the 5k a little better than what I did. However, the food, late night, and the 10k took care of that. It also seemed to be getting a little cooler as I was running the 5k versus the 10k. I ran 7:45, 8:02, 7:44, and 0:42 for the last 0.1 miles. My total time was 24:13. I was wanting it to be under 24:00. My pace was 7:49. I won my age group (40-44).

I did not stay around for the awards, because Max and Lainey were having a birthday party at the armory in Tennessee Ridge. I tried to watch Alabama and Tennessee that evening, but had trouble staying awake. After halftime, I slept through just about the whole thing. It was only 13-10 (Alabama) at halftime, but not even the close score could keep me awake. The final score ended up being around 41-10.

No comments:

Post a Comment