Thursday, October 28, 2010

Breezy, Chilly, and Crazy

Sherri wanted to stop by the store on the way home from work, so I got a late start. It was 54 degrees with a strong breeze at 6:15 and on the verge of darkness. I wanted to hurry for safety reasons - there are no street lights on my route. I probably shouldn't have ran like crazy, though, on the last run before the Clarksville Half Marathon. Instead, I risked getting injured two days before the race I've been waiting almost a year for, and instead of giving my legs some recovery time, I pushed them to the limits. The good news is that the previous pains had gone away; there's just a little soreness in my right ankle.

Running crazy. Mile 1 was at 7:22. "Hey," I thought to myself, "that's pretty good." Then came Mile 2 at 7:12. Although I've blogged from time to time about how long it took to run each mile of a run, I've never really kept track of each mile. And I'm not going back through all the blog entries, which still wouldn't give me all the "per miles", because I didn't enter them all. Plus, my fastest miles were probably in actual races in which I did not wear my GPS, and I only know the final time and pace. Having said all that, I still feel like 7:12 is my fastest mile in 20 years. Mile 3, my consistent slow mile, was 7:37. My total time of 22:11 gave me my fastest pace in 20 years at 7:24, which beat the Houston County 5k by 3 seconds per mile. When training runs become faster than actual races, I feel like I am improving.

1 comment:

  1. 7:24, really, come on. if i hadn't raced against you i would think you were making this stuff up! :)

    ReplyDelete