Saturday, October 9, 2010

APSU Homecoming 5k

I ran the APSU Homecoming 5K in 24:04 (unofficial). This was about a minute slower than the Houston County Fair 5k. I was kind of surprised, though. The HC Fair had a flat course, while the APSU 5k was hilly. I was also feeling full. I ate pizza Thursday night, carried the leftovers to work for lunch Friday, and stuffed myself at O'Charley's Friday night. I was miserable. The 7:46 pace is my second best pace.

After completing the race, I headed to the refreshments. No water! No sports drink! What? They did have coffee and hot chocolate. When registration began at 6:30, it was cool, but the temperature was to reach the mid- to upper 80's. I guess they just weren't thinking. I didn't try, but I bet it's not easy to turn up a cup of hot coffee/chocolate to quench your thirst after a 3-mile run. I will give them credit for having little cups of orange juice, but downing a few cups of acid was not really wanted I needed at the moment. They did have bagels, bananas, donuts, and some other food items. In reference to an 80's Wendy's commercial: "Where's the water?"

I walked to my truck where I had about 4 oz of PowerAde left. (I drank a coffee and about 10 oz of PowerAde before the race). I needed more, but would have to wait until I got home. I walked back to the registration area and waited to see if I placed in my age group. I was second in the 40-44 age group.

Needless to say, I was planning on running 11 miles when I got home, but it did not happen. I had 14 scheduled, so I was going to subtract 3 from it. I don't know how bad it will affect me by running 5k's on days I should be doing my long runs. I feel confident that I can complete the half marathon coming up in 3 weeks, but I want to be able to run it faster than last year. I don't care if it's just 30 seconds, I just want to improve on it.

Sad Note: #1 Alabama lost to #19(?) South Carolina.

No comments:

Post a Comment