Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Monday, October 18, 2010

I ran 13 miles Saturday and the thought of not being able to complete the run without walking didn't enter my mind until about mile 9. Today, the thought entered my mind at about the first half mile, and this was only a 4 mile run. Thankfully, I was able to keep up a jog for the whole way on both runs.

After Saturday's long run, I was worried my ITB would give me some problems. For some strange reason, it felt better on Sunday than it has for a long time. It also felt good today.

It was 70 degrees when I finished, soaked with sweat, but I was cold. There were some areas on my route that felt as if the temperature was 10 degrees cooler than most of the route.

The run was slow and easy - 8:45, 9:06, 9:03, and 8:55. Total time: 35:49. Pace: 8:57.

2 comments:

  1. the book i have says for itbs you should get a foam roller and put it on the ground, lay on your side with the foam roller under your hip and roll the roller from your hip to your knee and back for a few minutes a day. you can also do it standing with a broom stick. it also says to lay on your side and lift your upper leg, 1-2 sets of 15-30 to strengthen your legs to help take pressure off the itb. thought that might help

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read about the foam roller when I was researching last year, trying to find out what my problem was. I wasn't sure if it was a sales pitch or not, but I also read about it in medical articles. Last Saturday, a neighbor down the street said his wife had some good results using a foam roller for her ITBS. (She saw a sports doctor.) I guess I need to invest in one, because it doesn't look like it is ever going away. I was using the Wii Balance Board (or something similiar in heighth) to do an exercise. With one foot on the ground and one foot on the board, I would keep both legs straight and raise and lower my hip. I haven't done that in awhile. The only thing I'm doing now is grabbing my foot and pulling it to my butt to stretch the knee. I will try the leg lifts you mentioned, too. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete