Monday, September 5, 2011

12 - Thanks to Shane

I was supposed to run 4 miles on Thursday, September 1. On the way home from work, I began to get a headache and felt chills. I felt chills on a day that Nashville set a new record high with a temperature of 99 degrees. My legs also ached, so running was out of the question.

I did feel better on Friday, but since I had 12 miles scheduled for Saturday, I thought I would forget about those 4 and rest another day. Saturday, I helped Sherri babysit. I planned on running when she wen to Crissy's house that evening. When she left, I got dressed to run, but couldn't make myself get out the door. I contacted Shane, hoping he would be running, and running with him would help me get out the door. He had other plans, so I backed out. Probably a good thing, because I began to feel ill again. I fell asleep before 7:30 and did not get up until just after 10:00 Sunday morning. I stayed awake for about an hour, and then took a two hour nap. I got up and took a shower, hoping that would help me feel better. I went to Foodlion for a few things and that wore me out. Shane called to see if I was running today. I told him I just couldn't do it, and we could try again tomorrow.

Labor Day - Monday, September 5. I met Shane at the co-op for a 12 mile run. When I left my house around 5:00 pm it was 65 degrees (it had reached 68). When I returned about 2.5 hours later, it was 63. It felt like it got much cooler during the run. I was expecting to see mid to upper 50's. In the beginning, Shane ran off and left me. (First 3 miles for me: 9:11, 9:28, 9:21 - too fast for me.) After 3 miles, I guess my legs loosened up (and he slowed down) I caught up. We swapped leads a few times, not that it was a race, but "inspiration" to run and complete 12 miles. If I had not been running with him, I would not have run that far. As bad as I felt during the first 3 to 4 miles, I probably would have turned around then. I wanted to quit before, but really after Mile 9. I wanted to be finished and at home, but I had to get back to my truck. I wanted to walk the last 3 miles, but Shane ran past me. I finally made myself jog again. With a mile left, I decided to push with what I had left. I was finally under 10:00 again. Miles 4 thru 12: 9:53, 9:49, 10:18, 11:04, 11:36, 10:53, 12:08, 10:57, and 9:31). Total time: 2:04:08. Pace: 10:21. Heart Rates: avg. 150, max, 182, rest 64. Recovery 161 to 110. I could barely move when I got out of the shower.

No comments:

Post a Comment