Friday, August 13, 2010

How Could I Have Forgotten? Belated Birthday

I forgot to mention that I started running 1 year ago on August 10th. Cousin Todd and brother Shane urged me into training to run a marathon. I wondered, "Why would I want to go through the torture of training for a marathon?" Sure, I wanted to run a marathon, if for nothing else, just to be able to say I did it. I thought about it for a week or two. For some reason, I got up early one morning and ran 1 mile in 10:07.

It has been a roller coaster. In November 2009, my knee began hurting during a run. According to everything I read. it was iliotibial band syndrome (ITBS). This sidelined me for about two months. Then in March 2010, after running 16 milers on consecutive Saturdays, I ran 17 miles the following Saturday. I was totally exhausted, so I took a month off, except for two 3 milers I ran during that time. It has been a year and I still have not ran a marathon. On the bright side, though, I have run a few 5K's, a 10K, and two Half Marathons. And, the best thing, I feel much better.

Hopefully, I will conquer a marathon in the near future.

3 comments:

  1. you have to sign up for one first

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't want to waste my money! I want to be sure I can do it first! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. you can do it! i registered for st judes last night.

    ReplyDelete