Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Well, I failed to run my long run on Saturday for the second week in a row. So, it was Sunday or never.

I headed out around 12:30. Our thermometer had 100 on it, but it was actually 96 degrees with lots of sunshine. After last week's breakthrough of running the whole 10 miles, I failed on this 10 miler. I had to walk most of the last 3 miles. I think I could have jogged them, but didn't feel the "urge" to do so. My desire to keep running vanishes after I reach my pit stop. The pit stop is usually just over the halfway point, but today it was at around mile 6. A quick towel-off and the pickup of a cool beverage has me refueled and feeling good for the next mile. After that, though, the feeling goes away, and I'm struggling to keep up the jog. I know it's all in my mind, so I should be able to overcome it and keep running. Right?

My time slipped back to over 2 hours at 2:05:11, a pace of 12:31. My average heart rate was 155 (Since I've been keeping up with these numbers, this is the lowest avg HR and I did it once before on a 3 miler - proves I wasn't doing much), max 188, rest 62. Recovery was 170 to 123 (these 2 numbers also prove I wasn't getting much out of the run. The 123 is another record low).

I also have to admit that I think the run got the best of me. Even though I didn't push at any time and had to walk most of the last 3 miles, I paid a little price later. I was tired, of course, but later on I got a terrible headache. I took aspirin and Tylenol without any relief. After I went to bed, I woke up a few times with the pounding still in my head. Finally, I awoke covered in sweat, but without the headache - kind of like breaking a fever.

No comments:

Post a Comment