Monday, August 2, 2010

No Walking! Sunday, August 1, 2010

This 10 mile run was supposed to be ran on Saturday. I've been so tired lately that I didn't get up until 9:30. It was already 86 degrees and getting hotter. I just kept putting it off all day. I thought about calling Shane to see if he was running, so I could go run with him - that would more likely "force" me to run. Later on that evening, I was totally out of the mood to run and was glad that I didn't call him. Sunday, though, I had to run...

I pushed myself out the door about 3:30. It was sunny and 91 degrees, but didn't feel all that bad. The first 5 miles I carried a bottle with less than 8 ounces of PowerAde. Last week I only used up about 8 oz during the first 5 miles and the liquid was already sloshing in my belly. If sloshing was to occur, I wanted to be be after I was half way through.

About Mile 6.2, I reached my vehicle for my pit stop. I toweled off my face and head, but didn't change shirts as I had planned. I had tied up the sleeves on the shirt I started off with, but not the replacement shirt. I had already decided before I got there that I wasn't changing shirts, because I didn't want to fight with trying to keep the sleeves on my shoulders for 5 miles. I picked up a 32 oz bottle of PowerAde and continued on my way. I only lost about 30 seconds at the pit stop.

I carried the PowerAde bottle like it was a football. I had frozen half a bottle and filled the rest before I left home. It had already melted some before I picked it up, but there was still a chunk of ice. I occasionally swapped it from side to side to help keep me cool. It wasn't long before it was completely melted, though.

My times gradually increased the first 7 miles (9:28, 10:10, 10:14, 10:21, 10:39, 11:07, 12:08). Miles 9 and 10 went down from Mile 7 at 11:18 and 11:00. I was ready to be finished, so my pace picked up a little. My total time was 1:47:03 for a pace of 10:42. The time was 20 minutes faster than last week's 2:07:33 (12:45). It was also faster than 2 other attempts in July - 1:55:57 (11:36) and 1:52:45 (11:17). The reason for a better time: "No Walking!" I kept up a slow jog for the entire run, except for the pit stop and to take a few swigs of PowerAde when the bottle was mostly full, so I wouldn't spill it all over me - and those were just a few steps.

Heart rates: 166 avg; 187 max; 62 resting. Recovery from 187 to 151.

1 comment: