Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Monday, August 23, 2010

Today marks the official start of my Clarksville Half Marathon training. After mowing the backyard, I ran 3 miles. It was a nice sunshiny 83 degrees at 6:30 pm.

I was already feeling tired and wondering if I was going to complete the run before I had even reached the first quarter mile. For some reason, I got an adrenaline rush and ran Mile 1 in 7:53. During Mile 2, I think my GPS lost the signal for a short time. I ran about 1/10th of a mile past the usual place that the GPS beeps 2 miles. Mile 2 was 9:24, which is another reason I feel the signal was lost. Since it was 9:24 and I knew I would not be setting any personal records, I lost my "drive" for mile 3. So, Mile 3 had to be slower than 9:24, right? Wrong. It was 8:38.

I have wondered before about some times and distances especially since the Oxford Half Marathon in February - I think my watch said 13.6 miles. Now, I don't know if anything has ever been right. Was my best run really my best run? Was the worst the worst? I know the GPS isn't always exact, but it should prove to be close. I know it sometimes takes a little time to relay signals from the satellites to the GPS and watch. For this reason, when I reach a turnaround, I slow down a little. Hopefully, the last few feet I ran will be recorded. If I do it too fast and the GPS takes some time to relay, it may pick up when I reach a place on the return trip. I just have to use the times and distances as "approximates". It is not like it is for official use anyway.

Back to this run. My overall time was 25:55, for a pace of 8:38. Heart rates: 172 avg, 186 max, 64 rest. Recovery 178 to 136.

1 comment:

  1. you are getting pretty close to the "right" times. i have the same problem with my gps at turn arounds. however, in official runs, in regards to your 1/2 marathon, 13.1 miles would be the shortest distance you could run the race in if you stuck close to all corners and curves. in most runs you will run further than the measured distance, 1/5 mile might be pushing it though. but that is only .04 of a mile gained per mile ran, i think.

    ReplyDelete