Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Bouncing GPS

I was actually supposed to run yesterday. Now, I will have to run 3 days in-a-row to get back on schedule. It was a nice, sunny 84 degrees for this 4 mile run.

I wasn't expecting this to be my fastest 4 mile run, but it was - by about a minute - 33:28, a pace of 8:22. As in a FB conversation with cousin Todd, the faster I complete a run, the sooner I'm home watch TV and eating supper. I do not do anything that is suggested to improve speed, such as running up hills and some kind of sprints. I don't do any other exercising at all. I just try to keep my times from being "way" slow, while hoping to better my time in each mileage category. As Todd pointed out when he was urging me to run a marathon, It's about finishing the race, because I will never win one. Since I still haven't ran a marathon, I'm not sure of a goal, but I'm thinking about 4.5 hours. I also want to keep half marathons under 2 hours. I've been struggling with my long runs and the Clarksville Half is just under 2 months away.

Back to this run... Miles 1-3: 8:21, 8:31, 8:56. I decided I wanted an 8:30 pace after I checked my time while completing Mile 3, so I picked up the pace. I picked the pace up so fast (or maybe it was because of my flat-footed lumbering) that I ran out of my GPS. I was pushing along when I heard a "dijt-dijt-dijt". I looked down and there was my GPS unit bouncing alongside me, until it left the road for the grassy shoulder. I made a quick u-turn to pick up the unit and a part of the clip - I was in a hurry. The other part of the clip was still sandwiched between my hip and shorts, because the drawstring was tight. I ran the last 1/2 mile carrying it in my hands. Mile 4 came in - and I was quite surprised - at 7:41! Maybe the GPS malfunctioned, but it did say I ran 4 miles.

Heart rates: 169 avg, 183 max, 70 rest. Recovery 182 to 128.

No comments:

Post a Comment