Tuesday, August 2, 2011

August 1, 2011

Today would have been a 4 miler, but I did not run my long run on Saturday (or Sunday). I had some things to do and never had enough time in between them to run. I even thought about running when I got home from one project, but I didn't want to be on the road at 10:00 in the dark. Anyway, I ran 10 miles.

I had frozen about 1/4 bottle of PowerAde (about 8 oz) to take with me on the run. My plan was to carry it like a football, hoping the ice would help keep me cool as I held it to my side. I thought I would drink about 1/3 of it at mile 2.5, 5.0, and 7.5, with another bottle waiting for me at home on the porch. Well, before I reached the 2 mile marker, it was completely melted. I decided to hold off drinking, so I wouldn't gulp it all down and not have any left as I neared the end of my run. At mile 4, I walked about a minute and took a few quick sips. I also did this at mile 5 and mile 7. I usually do not carry a drink, but park my truck around a 1/2 way point for my long runs and make a little pit stop. Today I was running 5 miles away from home and back, so not pit stop area. When I left at 5:30 pm, it was 94 degrees; it was 88 when I returned. It was sunny with an occasional breeze.

With all the failures I've had recently, I thought this run went pretty well. I thought some of the middle mile times would have been faster. The main thing is that I ran just about the whole 10 miles. I had those 3 one minutes breaks, and a let down at the end. I only had around a 1/2 mile to go, but I just couldn't do it - I had to walk. I had nothing left. The times: 9:55, 10:28, 11:04, 11:25, 11:04, 11:11, 11:40, 11:08, 11:15, and 13:43. I really thought some of the mid-miles would have been under 11:00. Total time: 1:52:53. Pace: 11:17.

No comments:

Post a Comment