Monday, January 18, 2010

Martin Luther King, Jr. Day

I am not losing any weight! I haven't been at the weight I want to be to run the Oxford Run 4 Hope Half Marathon since the day I injured my knee (November 16). Although my heart rate has gone down just a little so far this month from December, it is still up from November. November's average was 59.2; December's 68.3; and January's (thru today) 66.2.

I chatted with John Beard (an old high school buddy) on Facebook. He has been running for a couple of years. He asked me if I was going to run the Country Music Marathon in April. I replied that I wanted to, but it depended on my knee. He just recently ran 13 miles, so I think he will do the whole 26.2 in the CMM.

Today was a nice day for a run. With a low in the a.m. of 26 degrees, it warmed up to 53 degrees - a heatwave. I ran in the evening and it was 44 degrees when I completed my 3 miles.

I intend - at least until the Oxford Half next month - to run all my Monday runs as fast as I can. I guess the word "run" in the title of my blog should be replaced with the word "jog". I haven't been doing any "running"; I've just been jogging my miles with no exertion at all. Today, I thought I would change that! Since I have a rest day before and after Monday runs, I thought this would be the best day to put a little effort into my runs. I do no other workouts - no speed training, no hills, no cross-training - so maybe this will help build a little speed and help my lungs, too.

Okay, I wanted to put some speed to it, but I didn't want to kill myself or risk reinjuring my knee, so I decided I would attempt a sub-9 minute pace. I know; it is not much of a challenge from some of my previous times, but is something I haven't done since my injury. And I did it! An 8:23 pace. I had already thought, "9 minutes this week; 8:30 next week". Well, I guess I will now try a sub-8 next week. I will also have to adjust my take off. I started out too fast. My
first mile was 7:40; mile 2 was 8:41; and mile 3 at 8:48.

Will I ever see a sub-6 minute mile again? No, never.

No comments:

Post a Comment