Saturday, June 12, 2010

11 Miles - I DON'T THINK SO! YOU LOSER!

Before I start yelling at myself, I have something to say in my defense. I did cover 11 miles, and the goal is to finish, right?

"Yes, the goal is to finish! But finish it running (jogging), not walking! Especially not walking when you walked so much during the run! The only time you should finish a run by walking is if your leg is broken!"

I got up at 6:30, but took my time in getting ready to run. My run began at 9:00. I only had a cup of coffee, some PowerAde, and a sip of water. The average temperature during my run was around 94 degrees. The heat index was triple digits. One reason I ran in the morning rather than my usual afternoon time. I was soaked with sweat and had nowhere on my shirt to wipe the sweat from my face. I sweat profusely. I blame it on the tick fever (Rocky Mountain Spotted fever) I had when I was a freshman in high about 18 years ago. Even though I outran them in sprints, some teammates accused me of not exerting myself in practice, because I didn't sweat much. Now, I sweat just thinking about doing something.

The first 5 miles were not too bad. After a 9:42 mile one, I told myself I needed to slow down; I needed to finish and a 10:30 to 11:00 pace would be okay. After 5 miles, I walked up to my truck and got my PowerAde. I ended up walking the "whole 6 mile". I ran mile 7 in 11:50. I walked the last 4 miles with a little jog sprinkled in a couple of times. Another failure. Yes, it was hot, but I should have kept up the jog for the entire time. Speaking of time, it took me 2:32:25 for a 13:51 pace. Pitiful!

My Heart Rate average was a low 158; 184 max; 64 resting. Recovery from 144 to 136 - not much difference since I wasn't doing anything!

This was a very disappointing day, especially considering I have a 5k and 10k coming up next weekend.

1 comment:

  1. you are too hard on yourself. your pace wasn't much slower than my 10 miles. i had emily pick up on a back road so i didn't have to run on a busy road because i was running at NIGHT after it had cooled off. when i opened the door to the truck she said it looked like i had been swimming because i was covered in sweat.

    ReplyDelete