Thursday, June 17, 2010

Bad Run - Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Today's 5 mile run was horrific. The night before I tossed and turned and did not get much sleep. And before my 5:30 pm run, I had only had a little cereal and 3 Oreo cookies all day. The lack of sleep and food caused a painful run. I have stopped and walked before, but I wanted to stop and either sit down or lie down. I usually end my run about a half mile or less from home, so I can walk and cool off some. Today, I was wishing I had my cell phone to call Sherri to come get me. This has to be one of the worst, if not the worst, runs of my life - not that I have all that many. I have felt worse post-run, but this was the worst in-run. I wasn't sure if I wasn't just going to fall over. Before I reached mile 3, I could feel my body searching my stomach for fuel - the tank was empty. Then I got chills that lasted until I got home and sat down on the porch. I never stopped sweating during the run and the sweat continued to pour off my head after I stopped. My head was on fire, but below my shoulders were cool.

I have been trying to drink more water, which, to me, is not a fun thing to do. I hate water. I am never too far away from a Dr. Pepper, but water seems to be a waste. The taste buds get all excited - then, nothing. I drank about a gallon on Tuesday and 2 gallons on Wednesday (during the day - pre-run). I think all the water reduced my appetite, which led to my painful experience. "Less water, more food" - that's something I have never said before. I have been needing to lose weight, but this was not the right time to go without food.

My time was 52:58. I knew before I headed out that I wanted to take it a little easy with the two races coming up. I am fine with the 10:36 pace; I'd rather it been closer to 10:00, but that's okay. The problem is the toil on my body. My legs were so tired, and still are. I feel so weak I don't know if I will be able to run Saturday.

Heart rate: 175 avg, 190 max, 56 resting. Recovery 170 to 160.

1 comment:

  1. last year that same 5 mile run in the schedule was my worst all year. however, you don't make us slow pokes feel very good, you had a terrible 5 and your pace was nearly as fast as my fastest 5 miles all year. internet at home has been down, so not able to blog last night, i am going to run now, hopefully will be able to blog tonight.

    ReplyDelete