Sunday, June 6, 2010

Ten Again - Saturday, June 5, 2010

Well, I was able to do the 10 miler I couldn't complete last Saturday. My time was horrific - 01:57:23 (11:44 pace). I have ran my only 2 half marathons in around the same time. I blame the extra 12 pounds, the fact I missed Wednesday and Thursday runs, and the 94 degree heat.

Before my run, I drove out to the Animal House Veterinary Clinic to pick up my new Under Armour Illusion 2 running shoes, my brother, Shane (Dr. Sykes), had ordered for me. I wasn't going to run in them today, because I didn't want to do a long run in new shoes. I will try them out Monday in a 3 miler.

I have decided that I will try the 3,5,3,10 schedule again - for the third time. First time, I was unable to do the 10 miler; second time, I missed 2 of the week's runs and the 10 miler was slow and tough.

I started out carrying a water bottle in my hand. It was quite a nuisance. I took my first sip at mile 2. About a quarter mile later, I ditched it. The water was already warm from the heat from my hand and the heat from the sun. Plus, the hindrance of it. I had just completed mile 5 when I was back at my truck. I could quit now! But I didn't! I lost some time as I walked to my truck and got the PowerAde I had poured into a water bottle, instead of having to carry the bigger PowerAde bottle. For some reason, this water bottle didn't seem to be the burden the first bottle had been. Maybe it was because I was running much slower than before. I drank little and often, slowing to a walk to drink, which added to my time - I think. I'm not sure, but the walk may have been faster than my run.

I was thinking I would have some time to relax - maybe even a nap - before I had to go to a wedding, but I was wrong. As soon as I got home, I had to rush to get ready. No relaxation at all.

It was a poor performance, but I did complete the 10 miles. Hopefully, the 10 mile time will improve next Saturday. If it had not been for Shane saying he would read my blog to see if I did it, I would have probably stopped after 5 miles. Thanks, Shane, for pushing me!

1 comment:

  1. and here i am reading the blog. in 94 degrees i think that time is pretty good! i waited until sunset to do my run.

    ReplyDelete