Thursday, June 24, 2010

June 23, 2010 - 5 miles

Man, it was hot. The temperature was 93 degrees - not much different than the last couple of weeks, but today seemed different. Maybe it was just me. The heat really seemed to be bouncing off the pavement.

My calves have been sore since Monday's 3-miler. I could feel the soreness just walking, so I could really feel it while running. My shins only hurt now when I try to "stretch a little farther". I was really drained during and after this run. I really wanted to stop after hitting mile 4. I kept pushing, hoping to finish with a 10:00 pace. I did, and just barely at 49:59. My miles came slower and slower, from 9:31 on mile 1 to 10:32 for mile 5. My heart rates: avg 172, max 188, rest 79, with recovery from 181 to 161.

I usually complete my mileage about .5 to 1 mile away from home, so I can walk and cool down some. I also usually do not get a drink until after I have showered. Today, I was thirsty! I was really wanting a drink when I completed mile 5, but had about a mile to walk before I could get anything. I was wishing I had my phone to call Sherri to come get me (one reason I don't carry one). I even thought about sitting down on the side of the road. I continued on, though, with the sweat pouring off my head more than when I was running.

When I got home, I sat on the porch and drank a PowerAde. I then worked up the energy for a shower. My legs were very shaky and at times, I was afraid I would lose my balance.

CAUTION: The following is a little graphic and mainly for my memory.

Since I drank a PowerAde beforehand, I had to pee when I got out of the shower. (It is usually awhile before that happens). I peed quite a bit, too, which I wasn't expecting. However, what I REALLY wasn't expecting was that it was red! I mean, a steady flow of a clearish red - like it was supposed to be that color. I was beginning to get a little worried. The day after the races I peed a thick, deep yellow - reminded me of egg yokes. It is usually darker after I do some vigorous exercise, and even though this was darker and thicker than ever before, I didn't think anything about it. Later on that night when I peed again, I saw a little red and thought "blood!" Everything got better - until after the 5 mile run.

2 comments:

  1. you might need to have that checked out, for real. i am not too proid of myself this week, check my blog for more on this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Umm did you drink red powerade? If not...GO TO THE DOCTOR NOW!

    ReplyDelete