Monday, June 21, 2010

June 19, 2010 - Wilma Rudolph 10k and 5k

Well, I was waiting for the official results to be posted on-line before blogging about this 2 race day. Since the results still have not been posted 3 days after the race, my times are unofficial and I do not know where I placed.

Considering the way I felt after Wednesday's run and through Thursday and Friday, I felt really good Saturday morning. My stomach was going crazy, but it usually does before I head out for a race, ballgame, etc. I drank a coffee and ate some gummies on my drive. Once there, I went into the registration area and picked up my packet and Shane's packet. I sipped on some PowerAde and called Shane to see where he was at. He didn't answer, so I thought he decided not to come. I was about to walk around to the front where the race would start and end, when I looked up and saw Shane.

The 10k (my first) began at 7:00 am. Shane and I were towards the back of the runners, so we lost a few seconds (or minute) there. The "bunches" got on my nerves, so I weaved in and out to a place where I was pretty much by myself. Occasionally, someone would pass me. Less often than that, I would pass someone. The weather had been hot the last couple of weeks, but this morning was quite descent. It was cloudy with a nice little breeze. It thundered a couple of times in the distance and sprinkled for a couple of minutes.

After a couple of miles when the runners were strung out over the course, I wanted to keep a pace to keep the heavy footsteps (and breathing) behind me, but I was usually unable to do so. I set my sights on a guy that looked to be in my age group that was about 1/10th of a mile ahead of me. I knew I could muster up the energy to sprint past him. I took a few quick steps, then slowed back to my pace. If I spent so much energy in one burst, he would probably pass me on down the road. I thought to myself, "I have over 2 miles left to pass him. He's beginning to struggle. I'm going to remain at my pace and if I haven't passed him, I'm going to give it all I've got when the finish line is in sight." I passed him not long after mile 4. Now, my goal was to finish with a decent time and save some for the 5k. I finished with an unofficial time of 55:08, a 9:02 pace. (I ran my 2 half marathons at faster paces: 9:01 and 8:58), but I was happy with it because I really wanted to push myself in the 5k coming up in just over 30 minutes. After the 10k, a kid handed me a water and I took a sip or two before drinking some PowerAde and GatorAde - I don't care for water. I ate some more gummies and changed shirts.

For the 5k, Shane and I weaved our way to the middle of the starting pack. There were some kids and overweight people lined up ahead of us that had to know they weren't going to finish ahead of a lot of the people behind them. Nothing against them, I'm glad they are doing it and I hope they keep doing it. I've lost about 30 pounds. I was down almost 40 and gained some back when I quit running for awhile. I mean, I wasn't going to win the whole thing and probably wouldn't even place in my age group, but I was out to try to set a new Personal Record. Instead, I was already behind before I reached the Starting Line and spent the first half-mile stuck behind a slower runner and/or weaving in and out of slower traffic. That's just part of the sport, though, so I need to stop complaining.

I reached the Mile 1 marker at 8:21, just slightly behind the pace I needed to reach my goal of under 25:00. Mile 1 was adrenaline - I knew I could do it in under 25:00. That all faded somewhere in the middle of mile 2. I could feel the slowdown - the 10k catching up to me; the sun that had come out earlier was also draining me. The Mile 2 split was 8:39. 8:39! Two miles in 17:00 flat. A pace of 8:30, and I needed better than 8:20. I threw in the towel of a PR, but the run continued.

An older guy - probably in his 60's - was about 20-25 yards ahead of me. "I can't let him beat me." He seemed to be inching further away, when, to my surprise, he began walking! I was closing in now! Then another surprise. I was less than 10 yards from catching him, when he began running again. His pace was somewhat faster than mine and my tank was almost empty, so I abandoned that dream. Just finish... I did with the last 1.1 miles coming in at 10:13! My goal of under 25:00 finished at 27:13. A big disappointment.

Again, a kid handed me a water as I passed through the finish shoot. This time I drank about half and poured the other half on me. Shane finished not too far behind. We got in the shade for a few minutes and went to his truck for Dr. Peppers. I didn't get anything to eat or drink in the registration/awards area. And I couldn't cool down.

I got Shane into these 2 races and I didn't want to "run" out on him, but I had to rush home to go to Sherri's family reunion at Montgomery Bell. I would have liked to have stayed for the awards - not that I would have won anything, but to get an idea of where I stood. I probably would have got tired of waiting and left anyway. I saw a comment on www.active.com that someone left saying he/she didn't get their 10k award until 11:30. If you got an award, you more than likely finished before 8:00. The 5k winner was finished before 9:00. I think they allowed an hour to complete the 5k, which would have been 9:30, so it took 2.5 hours to figure it all out. I also saw that there was a problem with the timing.

Well, anyway, Sherri and I went to the reunion and sat out in the heat for 4 hours. It was outside, but we did have some electric fans. As long as you didn't move much, the heat wasn't that bad. If it wasn't for us (Sherri, Crissy, Lainey, Brandi, Ricky, Ricky's mom and stepfather, and me) and John, Terri, Colt, Jamie (and boyfriend), and Chelsea (and boyfriend), there wouldn't have been anybody there. There were only 6 other people out of the whole family tree. I guess they were afraid of the heat.

The End.

No comments:

Post a Comment