Thursday, January 13, 2011

A Little Improvement

I always seem to get home a little later than usual when I am scheduled to run. It was 5:15 and a cold 24 degrees by the time I got out the door. However, I did make a little progress this run. It was my fastest pace since December 2. I knew I was running slower since I had not been running consistently for the last 2 months, plus the 15 pound weight gain. I also thought the cold weather was adding to my slower pace, but I read on active.com, "Yes, we run a lot faster in the cold races than we do in the standard, hot-summer month 5Ks and 10Ks..." What? You have got to be kidding! The colder it is the more stiff my body seems. There's sucking in the cold air. More (heavier) clothes to carry, that also reduce some flexibility. I don't know - I will just do what I can.

Back to the run. Mile 1 was a surprise at 8:10 (since it was only 24 degrees). I didn't loosen up or anything, but mile 1 felt pretty good. Then breathing became harder and I slowed down for miles 2 (8:52) and 3 (8:55). My total time was 25:57, for a pace of 8:39. My heart rates: 169 avg, 184 max, 67 rest. Recovery was from 182 to 120. This was the second time in-a-row I had a 62 point difference, which is the second best I have recorded. I guess the cold weather slows my heart quicker after I stop running.

No comments:

Post a Comment